GFI's S.M.I.L.E Learning ©
GFI now offers an innovative community- based training package aimed at organisations that want to re-shape their services to provide new activities for older and less able people, demonstrating positive outcomes for those participating and sustainability for the organisation.
The components of the training package are delivered by experienced GFI trainers, including professional counsellors and Occupational Therapists.
Good health involves a combination of factors, and integrating these elements into enjoyable activities using the S.M.I.L.E Learning approach will give older people the best chance of retaining their health, independence and links with the community. Given the opportunity, people make the right choices for themselves and their families, maximising control and power over the services they receive; the S.M.I.L.E Learning approach offers such an opportunity.
S.M.I.L.E Learning training enables an organisation to bring together a range of integrated services for a new generation of older people who wish to maintain and improve their social and physical mobilityand independence.
Part 1) A Masterclass for Directors/Trustees/ Senior Managers covering strategic development and service design for achieving outcomes and long-term sustainability, tailored to each centre’s needs and priorities;
Part 2) A supervised and supported self-audit using supplied templates, including engagement and feedback from service users.
Part 3) A series of focused workshops for operational staff and volunteers on integrating key life skills, physical mobility and up-to-date information for independent living into existing and new activities for older people.
Organisations can choose the most appropriate specialist workshops from the selection offered.
Part 4) A second Masterclass held at the end of 3 months to review actions taken and outcomes achieved.
This training will give organisations the inspiration and tools they need to meet their objectives and also help them achieve sustainability by developing new income streams.
S.M.I.L.E Learning Workshops
As each organisation will specialise in the provision of a range of services, information and activities in line with their aims and objectives, they should select the workshops that cover the activities they currently provide and/or wish to provide in the future.
GFI would recommend that all training packages include the Life Skills workshop, which is unique to GFI S.M.I.L.E Learning training.
The five components of S.M.I.L.E are:-
- Social networking
- Movement and exercise
- Information for Independent Living
- Life Skills
- Equipment information, including Telecare and Adaptations
Key Benefits of GFI S.M.I.L.E Learning training:-
- Trustees and managers will gain increased awareness and understanding of the need to develop self-sustainable activities and services which generate new income streams, improve the use of existing facilities and resources, and reduce their dependence upon statutory sector funding.
- Staff and volunteers will learn how to achieve improved outcomes for increased numbers of people through the introduction of new and innovative approaches.
- Existing service users will gain essential skills for independent living
- New users will be attracted to join and will be directly involved in the design and delivery of new activities.
- Families and carers will be more able to give appropriate support and will themselves learn to meet their own and thier family's needs.
If you are interested in running the S.M.I.L.E Learning training - or selected elements of it - in your area or through your organisation please contact GFI for more information - firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel. 0208 249 5515